Monday, June 26, 2017

Day 2: Daily Personal Devotional

FYI: This post is spiritual/religious in nature, though I don't spend a lot of time talking about what I do or don't believe. However, if you have no interest in my personal scripture study and prayer habits, just skip this post. I promise not to care--not one little tiny bit.

One of the biggest reasons I am changing my life is because I can see large changes ahead of me. I need to have all the little things in order so I can make the big decisions.

And I've been neglecting this "little" habit for quite a while. Which doesn't help when I need to find answers.

So, I'm restarting the habit of Daily Personal Devotionals.

This is how it will run for me:
  • A quick prayer to put me in the right frame of mind.
  • Read a chapter of whatever book of scripture I'm currently in. The actual amount will depend on how much time I have and what I feel prompted to read.
  • Make notes in a notebook.*
  • Make scriptures with my crayons.
  • Review my list of requested prayers and things on my mind.
  • Say a long and detailed prayer, preferably behind a locked door.
*This is where I start to cause myself trouble. I worry too much about how neat my writing is, whether I am making sense in my notes, and what other people would think if they read it. And I shut down completely because I can't make it perfect.

Solution:
My original notebook will be as messy as needed. I will simply ignore any desire to make it pretty or perfect. Then, on Saturdays and Sundays, I will block off time for myself to transcribe things into my Scripture Journal Binder. There is where I can form complete thoughts after having digested what I have read for a few days. I can add art/doodles/quotes and everything else I want to have but can't manage "perfectly" in the original notebook. I will begin with the Study by Chapter pages, and save the Study by Topic pages for later when my good habits have been reestablished and I can focus on questions/answers, and topics of concern or interest.

*Another issue has been timing. I have tried many different times during the day, but the only one that has been consistently successful for me is first thing in the morning. So, I'm headed back to early devotionals. 

Solution: I will get dressed and ready, then study at the kitchen table. I have to acknowledge that I will often be interrupted by the kids getting up. But I can train them to get their own breakfasts or start on other chores while I finish. That part will take time and patience, but what else is new in my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment